Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Changing Times


This week our topic is to write about our country and how we see their culture changing due to globalization or what our book calls "Americanization." Italy is known as a Catholic country, especially since one of the most influential and important religious institutions, Il Vaticano (the Vatican), is located in the heart of Rome. Traditionally religion has always played a major role in the lives and politics in italy, since most Italians have been raised as Roman Catholics.

While I was living in Italy last year, I noticed that they had an extraordinary amount of religious festivals and holidays, such as La Epifania, Pasquetta, and La Festa Della Madonna Bianca (pictured above). They also had many other religious holidays to celebrate different Saints, especially the Saints that they believe watch over different regions and especially their tiny towns.

Le Grazie, the small fishing village where I lived for part of last year, worshiped the Madonna. They had a picture of the Madonna at the entrance of their village where you would find the elderly towns people leaving flowers or saying the prayer. But this is why I believe that the culture in Italy is changing. Never once did I see a young Italian, male or female, who worshiped the Madonna, despite being raised as devoted Catholics. While talking with many of my Italian friends, I learned that the Italian youth is no longer as interested or devoted to the church.

I think this culture change began taking place within the past 20 years, due to the advancement in technologies and the interest in Pop Culture. I think the death of Pope John Paul II in 2005 also played a major role in the end of traditional Catholic ideals.

No comments:

Post a Comment